Monday, October 24, 2011

Is a timing belt hard to put on yourself or should i take my car to the shop?

i have a 1998 chevy lumina ltz. yesterday the timing belt broke. i bought a new one and i have a friend who says he can do it. my concern is the belt being put back on correctly. the man at kregan, where i bought the belt said as long as he's done it before it's not that hard. just make sure he has something to lift the alternator to relieve the pressure.

has anyone ever done this kind of job? how hard is it? oh one more thing, how much of a difference does it make if my engine is sideways? when i've taken my car in before i was told that it was sideways.Is a timing belt hard to put on yourself or should i take my car to the shop?Okay I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not your timing belt that broke. That's actually in the engine and covered by a metal plate(if you have one at all, I believe that your car actually has a timing chain.). You wouldn't know if that broke just by looking at it and it goes no where near the alternator. I think you are talking about the serpentine belt. And yes that's relatively easy to replace, so let your friend take a crack at it.

Your engine is %26quot;sideways%26quot; because your car is a front wheel drive. All front wheel drives are like that. It's really not that big of a deal anymore.Is a timing belt hard to put on yourself or should i take my car to the shop?if you have the tools and skill, is very simple. but if not, better of have the shop do. it won't cost too muchIs a timing belt hard to put on yourself or should i take my car to the shop?Its not to hard to put on. My parents had the same car and we had to do it once. It took us too people tho because we had to pry it on.Is a timing belt hard to put on yourself or should i take my car to the shop?It is sideways because it is front wheel drive. If you can afford it I would take it in. You may be able to do it yourself however it is not really worth it unless you are really broke.Is a timing belt hard to put on yourself or should i take my car to the shop?It's a big job, and one that has to be done right. I'd take it to the shop.Is a timing belt hard to put on yourself or should i take my car to the shop?if your timing belt broke it most likely damgaed your heads horribly. Meaning your going to have to replace more than the timing belt. I would take it to a mechanic just to make certain your heads were not damaged, but i would give you a good 90% chance they are unfortunately.Is a timing belt hard to put on yourself or should i take my car to the shop?If your car is frontwheel drive, then your engine is mounted %26quot;sideways%26quot; in the engine compartment.



In general, timing belts on FWD cars are labor intensive to replace, because there are a lot of things in the way that have to be removed.



Don't attempt to do it without the shop manual for the car.Is a timing belt hard to put on yourself or should i take my car to the shop?I would take it to the shop because the person has to also make sure the timing is correct on your car.Is a timing belt hard to put on yourself or should i take my car to the shop?If u had to ask then take it to the shopIs a timing belt hard to put on yourself or should i take my car to the shop?Being a GM it's going to be a pain because you can't get to anything. But once you get everything out of the way it's a snap. You just have to line up the timing marks on the cam and crank shafts and put it on.Is a timing belt hard to put on yourself or should i take my car to the shop?Not hard at all. Get a book so you make sure you do it right but I have done it before, I don't work on cars and I put it on fineIs a timing belt hard to put on yourself or should i take my car to the shop?You last two sentences tell me that you need to take the car to a mechanic. Installing a timing belt is one of those mechanical jobs where you need some expertise to do it right, and doing it wrong can be costly. I hope it wasn't an automotive professional that used the term %26quot;side wise%26quot; on your Lumina's engine. What you have is a front wheel drive car with a %26quot;transverse%26quot; engine. A common configuration in newer cars.Is a timing belt hard to put on yourself or should i take my car to the shop?Only let this guy do this if he really has. sounds like you have a transverse engine, sideways. you dont have but maybe 5-6 inches of space to work. there are special tools made he might nout have. this isnt a 72 nova.Is a timing belt hard to put on yourself or should i take my car to the shop?trust me a lumina engine, I would take it to a shop. The engine compartment is too tight your engine is sideways for a front wheel drive car.



If your experience in auto repair try it. If not, you have to make sure you don't loose your timing when you change the belt.Is a timing belt hard to put on yourself or should i take my car to the shop?ive done several belts, was you engin running when it broke? you may have valve dammage, id take it to a shop where you could a get professional opinion, and get a warranty. timimg belts arnt as easy as they look.Is a timing belt hard to put on yourself or should i take my car to the shop?If you are a good mechanic, fix it. Otherwise take it to a garageIs a timing belt hard to put on yourself or should i take my car to the shop?A timing belt is very serious. If you are precise you could seriously damage your car. I would take it to a professional. Look at it this way, the belt might've cost you.......$60. You may pay.......$250 for labor. If you do it yourself and mess it up, you will have to pay another $60 and $250 and more money for repairs.Is a timing belt hard to put on yourself or should i take my car to the shop?I agree with most of the others in here. If there's any way you can afford it, have a (professional) do it. The sepentine belt, on the other hand, is usually quite simple. My engine is longitudinal, and it can be done with only one or two sockets!Is a timing belt hard to put on yourself or should i take my car to the shop?Take it to the shop. That way if anything goes wrong-you can pin it on them instead of your friend.



It's not a simple job, usually and it sometimes involves disconnecting a motor mount to access things on a transverse (sideways) engine.

The camshaft-to-crankshaft timing marks also have to be reset correctly or the engine will not run, or will run very poorly.



If your friend has specific knowledge of the procedure and can do the job cheaper than a shop-let him/her have at it, but unless he's absolutely sure what to do-take it to the shop.Is a timing belt hard to put on yourself or should i take my car to the shop?Timing belt or fan belt? Seems to me you're describing replacing a fan belt which is a piece of cake. There should be a diagram some place under the hood to show you the correct routing of the belt. All you will need is a rachet (3/8ths drive if I remember right) to release the pressure on the belt tensioner to get the new fan belt over the pulleys. If it's the timing chain at the front of the block then that's another thing. It's not hard just time consuming and requires removal of a lot of sh*t. Not impossible but you will need a variety of tools and some mechanical skill. Either job I'd tackle myself instead of taking it to a shop and paying 70 plus dollars an hour labor charges.Is a timing belt hard to put on yourself or should i take my car to the shop?timing belts are not that hard to put on.just put your crank to top dead center and turn your cam to the guage hole and put a drill bit in the hole to keep the cam gear from moving and put on the belt,after you losen the tensioner.Is a timing belt hard to put on yourself or should i take my car to the shop?take it to a shop
  • 4stuff for sale
  • thick hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment