Monday, October 24, 2011

How much is a fair price to replace a timing belt?

D16Y7 motor. unknown miles on the belt, 150xxx miles on the car. car was supposivly taken to honda up till i bought it with 100xxx miles.



my question is to buy the belt and have it replaced what is a good price/fair price? i know the belt alone is near $50.How much is a fair price to replace a timing belt?I just paid $300 in December to have one replaced on a 1996 Accord LX although I was quoted a price of $350. Needless to say this was not at a dealer. It was actually at a Honda salvage yard in Pennsylvania.How much is a fair price to replace a timing belt?A few years ago a Honda dealer would charge $600 or more and a mechanics shop wanted $300 to $400. It's what they have to do to get to the timing belt that costs so much. If you don't have it done it will end up costing you much more when it breaks. When you do it, replace the water pump too because they have to do the same thing to replace that, so you might as well save some $$$ and have them done at the same time.How much is a fair price to replace a timing belt?I just paid $700 to have the timing belt done on the same motor at the Honda dealer. It was actually within $50 of what most of the garages were charging.How much is a fair price to replace a timing belt?Oil seals blew in my 94 Accord LX and ruined my timing belt and water pump. The shop I took it to (they did incredible work, btw, and I am now a loyal customer) wasn't a Honda dealership...they charged me about $400 to get the whole job done. They threw in the new water pump for free, simply because they felt bad seeing how new my ruined pump was.



The belt is cheap - the labor is very intensive, detailed and time consuming.

No comments:

Post a Comment